Monday 9 May 2016

SPOONIELIFE: When I feel normal


I'm sure you've heard of Chronic or Invisible Illnesses. But have you head of the Spoon Theory?

The quick jist is that it's like each action costs a spoon. To a lot of people getting up seems like one action, right? You get up dressed and start the day, right?  



To many people living with different kinds of nomal it's; opening your eyes, sitting up, putting your feet off the edge of the bed, standing up. Let's not get into the numerous tiny bits you don't think of when getting dressed or completing your morning ritual. 


I think back to my younger years and the time I spend sleeping most of the day when I had an infinite amount of spoons and I curse myself for it. I can't really be that angry; puberty was hard, I was still building resilience to life's challenges. 
I always buzzed around I could clean kitchen, read books, clean livingroom, go for a walk, clean bathrooms, do laundry, study, organise cupboards, dance, draw, cook batch dinners in a normal day. I always had projects to do, ideas to implement. I couldn't imagine some day that folding one load of laundry would floor me and have me recovering for over a week.

I always thought I had all my life to do this. I still do.. but it's limited by the cruel Spoon Mistress who gives and takes in the most whimsical, frivolous ways at the most inopportune times. Can you feel it coming on? Oh heck no! Sometimes it will be like someone has literally drained all your energy.
To have abundant energy for the first time in maybe three years is a huge deal. I'm not sure if the change is thanks to my recent, small changes in my lifestyle or maybe it's merely the Spoon Mistress has chosen to smile upon me for once.


Question is, for someone who's been living with very little spoons. What's it feel like to be normal?


It's exhilarating.
It's not having to retreat to bed.
It's being able to do more than one thing in a day.
It's being able to go to more than two rooms in a day. It's being able to go outside.
It's being able to change plans on a whim. It's being able to go on a bus. It's being able to wait in line. It's not having to navigate with only wheelchair friendly zones.
It's the fear of not knowing when this good spell will end.

Don't take your spoons for granted!
Any other spoonies, please leave a comment and tell me what feeling "normal" is like for you? What do you love doing with your extra spoons?

No comments:

Post a Comment