Friday 19 June 2015

Review: First Kiss Monogatari & 12-Sai ~Suki, Kirai, Suki~

Art: YiiChan@deviantART
There's something so sweet and lovely about your very first kiss, or even the thought of having your first kiss (though, younger readers, don't rush yourself!), today's OVA review will focus on a few titles focusing on something that's just lovely- kisses.
Two very different sides of a subject; a first kiss and a kiss that started a relationship.
Both of these are very short OVA.

Get all puckered up for the reviews, after the cut
OAV information here

As the title suggests; it's a story that started with a kiss. As for the story? Uh, I watched this and remained unaware of a 'story' or plot. To sum it up, (this doesn't count as spoilers because the whole thing is spoiling itself if you ask me), girl confesses to boy, boy goes away, guy that looks like girl's dad comes to stay, girl falls out with boy, girl loves boy after all.


This was an anime adaptation of a visual novel of the same name from 1998. I hope to god they have some sort of plot that doesn't fractally bounce about in a 'by the way' sense. "He looks like my dad.. who died.. who I was close to", "I love this boy, who there's flashbacks of, but you've no idea what we've been through and thus have no idea why I'm with such an indifferent man other than because he's easy on the eyes..." *sharp intake of breath*.


The animation is alright but a bit shocking considering it's the 2000's. I would have expected better given the difference in time from the PC game and art and this release.. though the forehead size has decreased... Dear lord above!!

Watch it or don't watch it... it's 29 minutes long so it won't really be wasting much of your time and it may cleanse your palette and make you appreciative of "older anime" and their styles. You think 90s stuff like Slayers is bad?? Yeah, you'll have more appreciation now buddy!


12-Sai, ~Kiss, Kirai, Suki~ OVA

Information here

This is a really sweet OVA that's around 14 minutes long, it;s a bit over the top, as in some of the things that happen I don't believe would happen with a teacher in the room. But I guess it's a good way to play it up considering the length of the OVA.
Go past the break to watch it for yourself!



The art style and animation is beautiful even if it leans to the more simplistic style; very Arina Tanemura-esque. Voice acting is of the best calibur and what soundtrack there is, is cute and romantic.
It's really a very well animated, adorable portrayal of the stirrings of curious, young love. When I watched movies  with my first boyfriend (back when I was 11) I remember if I saw a kiss scene I'd instantly wonder what he was thinking and go into daydream mode then run away embarrassed.



Just a warning so you don't get your hopes built up the same way I did. At the end it mentions that what we watched was episode 1, and the manga on sale has 2 volumes, HOWEVER this was the only episode made. Trust me, I've scoured the internet for it!

Oh well, maybe when I do manga reviews we can find out what else happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment